No fewer than 22 worshipers, including the bombers, were killed in yesterday’s early morning twin suicide bombing at Molai-Umarari village, behind the Molai Hospital, on the outskirts of Maiduguri, the Borno State capital. Blood-stained carpets are seen in the central mosque in northern Nigeria’s largest city of Kano on November 29, 2014, a day after twin suicide blasts hit the mosque during weekly Friday prayers. At least 120 people were killed and 270 others wounded when two suicide bombers blew themselves up and gunmen opened fire during weekly prayers at the mosque, a week after the emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II, of one of Nigeria’s top Islamic leaders called on northerners to defend themselves against Boko Haram Islamists that have been carrying out deadly attacks and seizure of territory in the northeast.
Several other persons were also injured in the blast that occurred less than 24 hours after dozens of terrorists and two soldiers lost their lives in an encounter along Maiduguri – Damboa – Biu road on Tuesday. Reacting, President Muhammadu Buhari said he was angry over the news of latest cruel attacks on a mosque in Maiduguri, Borno State, describing the Boko Haram, perpetrators, as a group of mindless and godless people.
A second bomber was said to have sneaked into the crowd to detonate another explosive that left more people dead and scores others injured. It was gathered that the dead and the injured had been evacuated to hospitals in Maiduguri metropolis and no one has claimed responsibility yet. Confirming the blast, Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Sani Kukasheka Usman, said: ‘’This is to confirm that there were twin bomb attacks carried out by two female carriers at Ummarari village, near Molai, on the outskirts of Maiduguri metropolis, Borno State. “While we commiserate with the families of the victims of this dastardly act, we wish to reassure the public that we would continue to rout the remnants of the Boko Haram terrorists wherever they may be hiding.”