The Federal and Lagos State Governments have released the itinerary and alternative routes for motorists ahead of the partial closure of the 3rd Mainland Bridge from the 24th of this month to January 24, 2021.
The itinerary was announced at a joint news briefing addressed by the Federal Controller of Works in the State, Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Works, and the Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC). The Federal Controller of Works, Mr. Olukayode Popoola had earlier announced that repair works which was awarded in 2018 will commence on the Bridge and last for six months.
Our Correspondent Immanuel Odeyemi reports that the itinerary shows that the repair works would be carried out in two phases, inward and outward Lagos Island lasting three months each. The alternative routes include Herbert Macaulay through Empire road, Iddo via Oyingbo to Carter Bridge and Eko Bridge either through Ijora or Eric Moore.
Speaking about why government did not use the period of the covid-19 lockdown to carry out the maintenance work, Mr. Popoola explained that the components for the replacement of the bearings and expansion joints ordered from abroad were only delivered shortly before the lockdown. The Lagos State Commissioner for Works, Mr. Frederic Oladehinde said the State government would give priority to the free flow of traffic throughout the duration of the repair works, while more buses would be added to the State transport service as well as the Ferry services and advised residents to work from home as much as possible.
On her part, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Works and Infrastructure, Mrs. Aramide Adeyoye announced that palliative works would be carried out on all the alternative routes to make them motorable over the next two weeks and advised drivers of containerized trucks to limit their journeys into Lagos.
In his contribution, the Lagos State Sector Commander of the FRSC, Mr. Olusegun Ogungbemide said enforcement would be strict and appealed to motorists to cooperate with officials who would be at strategic points throughout the duration of the repair works. Though maintenance work was last carried out on the Bridge in 2012, it was partially shut for three days in August last year to enable the contractors inspect the extent of work to be carried out on it.